Psychological Science Agenda
A publication of the Science Directorate
January 2015 |Vol. 29, No. 1
- APA opens search for new executive director for science
Psychologist will lead APA Science Directorate and help shape APA’s policies and programs.
APA Science Awards
- Paul W. Thayer receives APA Distinguished Service Award
Contributions to industrial-organizational psychology and the discipline as a whole are recognized.
- APA awards 2014 Meritorious Research Service Commendations
Two federal psychologists are recognized for promoting research programs in psychology and health.
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville psychology department wins APA Departmental Service Award
Department encourages service to psychological science by faculty and students.
- Recipients selected for 2014 APA Early Graduate Student Researcher Award
Each student receives a $1,000 award to be used towards research-related expenses.
- The 2014 APA Dissertation Research Award recipients
Forty-eight graduate students received funding for their research.
- Meritorious Research Service Commendation: Call for nominations
- APA Culture of Service Award: Nominate your department or colleague
APA Boards and Committees
From The Science Student Council
- APA offers Advanced Training Institutes for summer 2015
Offerings include cutting-edge statistical techniques and research methods with diverse populations.
- Call for nominations: Master Lecturers and Distinguished Scientist Lecturers
- APA Summer Science Fellowships for undergraduates
- APA Leadership Institute for Women in Psychology
Science highlights from the January Monitor
- Along for the ride
Self-driving cars may soon be coming to a road near you — but there are big questions about the behavior of the people sitting in the driver’s seat.
- A double life
Psychologist Nancy Segal has spent her career studying what makes identical twins unique — and what the pairs can teach us about the role genes and environment play in shaping ourselves.
- Adapting to a warmer world
Psychologists can help people and communities prepare for the psychosocial effects of climate change.
- Honoring two educators
New award recognizes efforts to promote psychology as a STEM discipline. Jack McArdle and Bruce Overmier are the first honorees.
- ‘Memo to Congress: Stop Fighting Scientific Research’
APA’s Pat Kobor co-authors op-ed in Roll Call.
- APA welcomes new editors
APA has named nine new journal editors to serve six-year terms.
- Grad school applications simplified
A new service offered by APA known as PSYCAS will streamline the psychology graduate school application process for students, faculty and institutions.
- How much has the number of advanced degrees in psychology increased in the past decade?
News from APA's Center for Workforce Studies.
- In brief
Snapshots of some of the latest peer-reviewed research within psychology and related fields.
PSA is the monthly e-newsletter of the APA Science Directorate. It is read by psychologists, students, academic administrators, journalists and policymakers in Congress and federal science agencies.