- APA alerts federal officials to its new policy banning psychologists from national security interrogations
APA notified President Obama and other key federal officials, including those at the Department of Defense and Central Intelligence Agency, of its new policy that includes a prohibition against psychologist participation in national security interrogations.
- APA elects University of North Carolina, Wilmington professor Antonio Puente 2017 president
During his presidency one of Puente’s priorities will be to continue the focus on integrating psychology into comprehensive healthcare.
- TEACH Teamwork: An evidence-based, self-guided program for school professionals to work effectively on teams
APA’s series of five modules facilitate both self-guided individual learning and instructor-guided group learning.
- APA applauds new SAMHSA report calling for an end to ‘conversion therapy' for youth
The report makes it clear that conversion therapy is not appropriate for dealing with sexual orientation or gender identities in children and youth.
- APA brief affirms benefits of racial and ethnic diversity on campus
Institutions of higher education should be permitted to employ race-conscious admissions practices to promote the many educational benefits a diverse campus offers to all students.
- APAGS training videos provide tips and suggestions on gender and sexual minority issues
The videos offer evidence-based tips and peer-to-peer suggestions for dealing with difficult subjects and increasing one's cultural competency related to gender and sexual minority concerns.
From APA Publishing
- Practice Innovations
This journal publishes clinical, practical, and research articles on current and evolving standards, practices, and methods in professional mental health practice.
- A Student's Guide to Assessment and Diagnosis Using the ICD-10-CM
This book provides graduate students and psychology interns with a conceptual framework for diagnosis and assessment using the ICD-10-CM. Using three detailed case examples, it teaches the fundamental critical thinking skills that are essential in real-life clinical scenarios.
- Teaching Life Skills to Children and Teens With ADHD
This book features practical strategies for helping children and teens with ADHD develop essential life skills such as making friends, having conversations, building confidence, and developing sensitivity to others.
- Cognitive Behavioral Interventions for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
This DVD demonstrates cognitive behavioral therapy interventions with a woman who is suffering from PTSD after the tragic loss of her son.
Continuing Education in Psychology
- APA Clinician's Corner: Train the Trainer: Memory Training for Seniors
At this workshop offered via live webcast on Nov. 20, Robin Lea West, PhD, will present an overview of memory training research and prepare psychologists to offer an empirically validated memory training program for older adults.
Call for Applications
- APA-USNC International Travel/Mentoring Program for US Scholars
Apply by Dec. 1 to travel to Yokohama, Japan, to present research and develop international collaborations and networking.
- APA Summit on National Assessment of Psychology
Apply by Dec. 31 to participate in this conference bringing together experts in educational assessment in undergraduate psychology.
- 2016 TOPSS Competition for High School Psychology Students
High school psychology students can submit essays that address racial bias by March 15, 2016, for the chance to receive a $250 award.
APA member Scott Pytluk, PhD
Bucket list for two: Sharing wildest dreams can bring a couple closer — Chicago Tribune
“When partners plan for the future together, as long as there’s flexibility in it, they’re expressing a joint sense of hope about their lives together. Couples flourish when there are mutually agreed-upon goals and dreams.”
Speaking of Psychology
"Speaking of Psychology" is an audio podcast series that gives psychologists the opportunity to talk about their work and share their insights.
Episode 31: Understanding your racial biases (John Dovidio, PhD)
PsycCareers Jobs of the Month
Doctoral level psychologist
Deer Oaks — A Behavioral Health Organization
Clinical research psychologist — autism spectrum disorders
Weill Cornell Medicine
White Plains, New York
APA book-based continuing education programs
Select from 11 new releases based on APA publications covering a broad array of interests.
Calendar of Events
- Jan. 3-6, 2016: National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology
- Jan. 22, 2016: APA Clinician's Corner: Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder and the Neurodevelopmental Disorders in the DSM-5
- Feb. 27-March 1, 2016: APA State Leadership Conference