Research on violence prevention, distracted driving, military suicides, materialism, addiction and more highlighted at 2014 APA Annual Convention
- Psychologists Advocate for Family-friendly Federal Legislation
APA divisions 9 and 27 collaborate to empower their members.
- APA’s 2013 annual report highlights the association’s accomplishments and activities
The report includes a year-in-review message from APA's CEO highlighting key initiatives, as well as news and updates from the APA Directorates.
- Recorded webinar highlights revised APA Guidelines for the Undergraduate Psychology Major
Psychology teachers can learn about the changes in the latest undergraduate psychology program guidelines via a free recorded webcast.
- Proposed APA division focusing on implementation science seeks additional support
Psychologists are petitioning for creation of a new APA division to study effective ways to integrate evidence-based practice into real-world settings.
- Psychologists’ role in Alzheimer’s disease evaluation and treatment topic of new briefing sheet
The new briefing sheet underscores how psychologists can use neuropsychological evaluation, behavioral intervention and psychotherapy to identify and treat Alzheimer's.
From APA Publishing
- Psychology of Consciousness: Theory, Research, and Practice
This journal publishes articles on theory, research, methodology, and clinical applications related to the psychology of consciousness.
- APA Handbook of Personality and Social Psychology
This four-volume handbook summarizes the current state of knowledge on major topics within the fields of personality and social psychology.
- Attachment-Based Psychotherapy in Practice
This DVD discusses the theoretical basis of attachment-based psychotherapy and explores with a client the origins of her inability to communicate her needs and fears to those on whom she most depends.
- Shield Up! How Upstanding Bystanders Stop Bullying
This book is a literary graphic novel for middle grade kids that help students understand bullying behaviors from all perspectives - that of the victim, the bully, and the bystanders.
Continuing Education in Psychology
- CE Sessions
Convention attendees can earn unlimited continuing education credits by attending numerous sessions, all for a single fee.
Calls for Applications and Nominations
- Designation Committee for Postdoctoral Education and Training Programs in Psychopharmacology for Prescriptive Authority
This committee reviews applications voluntarily submitted by postdoctoral education and training programs seeking designation and recognition in psychopharmacology.
- Award in Support of Conferences and Workshops on Graduate and Postgraduate Education and Training in Psychology
These grants support conferences and workshops intended to enhance the quality of education for faculty and/or supervisors who train graduate students, interns and/or postdoctoral fellows in psychology.
- Call for Nominations for Journal Editors
APA has opened a call nominations for the editorship of Archives of Scientific Psychology for the years 2015–2021. Deadline for accepting nominations is Wednesday, October 15, 2014, when reviews will begin.
- APA Grants for Internship Programs
The APA has allocated up to $3 million over a period of three years for seed funding under a grant application process to increase the number of APA-accredited internship programs and positions.
- An ode to ACT: A mother’s reflection on APA’s parenting program
Nichole Marie Baker shares how APA’s ACT Raising Safe Kids program, which helps parents/caregivers build safe and nurturing relationships with their children, changed her views and behaviors.
Speaking of Psychology
"Speaking of Psychology" is an audio podcast series that gives psychologists the opportunity to talk about their work and share their insights.
Episode 13: Thinking of companies as people (Susan Fiske, PhD)
Calendar of Events
- Sept. 20 & 21: APAGS Workshop for Prospective Graduate Students (University of Southern California | University of California, Berkeley)
- Sept. 26: APA Clinician's Corner — Concussion on the Cutting Edge: Evidence-Based Comprehensive Approach from Assessment to Treatment
- Oct. 17-18: New England Psychological Association Annual Meeting