A publication of APA's Office of Public and Member Communications
July 15, 2014 | Vol. 3, No. 7
- APA Champions Disability and LGBT Issues Around Adoption and Foster Care
Association co-sponsors briefing and supports key legislation.
- Students, early career psychologists to blog and tweet their convention experience
Four early career psychologists will contribute to APA’s convention blog and a student Twitter team will tweet their convention experiences to attendees and the world.
- ‘APA Journals Dialogue’ podcast takes in-depth look at research recently published by APA
The podcast series features interviews with authors of new research recently published in an APA journal.
- Briefing sheet on integrated health care reinforces psychology’s connection and importance to overall health
Integrating behavioral and mental health care with physical health care assures that vital biological, psychological and social factors are taken into account when treating health conditions.
- APA supports Obesity Week 2014
The annual conference on the science, application, intervention and prevention of obesity takes place Nov. 2-7 in Boston.
Election Office Update
- 2014 Division and SPTA Election Results
The APA Election Office announced the 2014 division and SPTA election results in mid-June.
From APA Publishing
- Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity
This journal explores sexual orientation and gender diversity. Articles aim to advance the psychological knowledge of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals and their families, couples and marriage, health and health care, aging, work, and careers.
- Taking Control of Anxiety
This concise how-to book teaches you to manage everyday stress or a severe chronic condition such as panic, posttraumatic stress, or overwhelming worry, so you can relax and enjoy life.
- Longitudinal Data Analysis Using Structural Equation Models
This book identifies five basic purposes of longitudinal structural equation modeling and presents the most useful strategies and models for analysis of the data.
- Single-Case Intervention Research
This text is a compendium of tools and information for researchers considering single-case design research, a newly viable and often essential methodology in applied psychology, education, and related fields.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Psychologists
This book arms mental health professionals with research-based information and practical tips on integrating complementary and alternative medicine with conventional treatment.
Continuing Education in Psychology
- CE Workshops
Select from 81 continuing education workshops at APA’s convention this year, including four presidential workshops and the sixth annual distinguished workshop series.
Calls for Nominations
- 2014 Call for Nominations: Committee on Early Career Psychologists
CECP is seeking nominations for three representatives to serve a three-year term (2015-2017).
- Committee on Children, Youth and Families: Call for Nominations
The Committee on Children, Youth and Families nomination materials should be submitted by Aug. 30, 2014.
APA member Denise Marigold, PhD, in:
“Those with low self-esteem actually reject the so-called ‘positive reframing,’ or expressions of optimism and encouragement, most of us offer to them.”
Speaking of Psychology
"Speaking of Psychology" is an audio podcast series that gives psychologists the opportunity to talk about their work and share their insights.
Episode 12: Simple steps to well-being (Pamela Hays, PhD)
Calendar of Events