Research on language, men, decision-making, learning, technology and more highlighted at 2013 APA Annual Convention
- New APA video gets teens talking about sexualized images of girls
Six middle-school girls shared their thoughts and feelings about how girls are portrayed in the media today.
- APA 2012 annual report highlights the association’s accomplishments and activities
The report includes a year-in-review message from APA's CEO as well as an account from the 2012 APA president.
- President Obama selects psychologist Daniel Kahneman, PhD, to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom
Kahneman was named one of 16 recipients of the medal, the nation's highest civilian honor.
- Psychology Department Program
Enhance teaching and learning in your psychology department through the APA Psychology Department Program
- Visiting Scholar to Study Gender in the Psychology Workforce (PDF, 103KB)
- Complex, varied causes of poverty explored in new APA annotated bibliography
This new resource lists numerous publications highlighting the influence that wages, location, welfare programs and other factors have on poverty.
- Positive Aging Act of 2013
APA supports legislation to serve older adults and promote integrated care.
- Capitol Hill briefing highlights violence prevention research
Evidence-based programs are major theme of APA-cosponsored event.
- APA member briefs Capitol Hill staff on veterans' mental health research
John McQuaid, PhD, presented work on cognitive behavioral therapies and other mental health research conducted at the San Francisco VA Medical Center.
- Senate to Vote on Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2013
Election Office Update
From APA Publishing
- APA Custom Course Books
This page provides information about APA Custom Course Books, which gives instructors the ability to create customized course materials from APA books.
- APA Handbook of Multicultural Psychology
This 2-volume handbook presents the best science and practice within the subfield of multicultural psychology.
- APA Dictionary of Lifespan Developmental Psychology
This abridgment of the APA Dictionary of Psychology is specifically tailored for scholars and students who focus on the field of developmental psychology. The basic lexicon of development across the lifespan is illuminated in thousands of entries and hundreds of cross-references representing theoretical, biosocial, cognitive, and psychosocial categories.
- Medical Family Therapy and Integrated Care, Second Edition
This thorough update of a classic text describes the impact of recent economic and structural changes in health care on the role of the medical family therapist, and how medical and mental health providers can learn to collaborate in various settings.
APA member Eileen Kennedy-Moore, PhD, in:
Why do some child stars implode? — USA Today
"Childhood is about finding out who you are and being able to relate to others, and those things are harder to learn when you're famous. That amount of public scrutiny makes it hard on kids to do that. They have to adopt a very self-assured, precocious identity very quickly."
Calls for Comments and Papers
- Comment on APA task force report documenting application of psychological science to teacher preparation
Submit comments to the APA Education Directorate by Oct. 4.
- Call for individual papers and posters for International Congress of Applied Psychology
Psychologists, health care professionals, academics and researchers can submit abstracts to the conference through Dec. 1.