- APA’s Katherine Nordal joins TEDMED Great Challenges forum on stress
Watch a recording of APA’s executive director for professional practice fielding stress-related questions from the public during a webcast in March.
- Veterans Health Administration provides access to APA databases for all employees
Psychologists and other health professionals at VA medical centers nationwide now have access to multiple APA research databases.
- What Role Do Religion and Spirituality Play In Mental Health?
Five questions for psychology of religion and spirituality expert Kenneth I. Pargament, PhD.
- Transgender today
Throughout history, transgender people have been misunderstood and seldom studied, but that’s beginning to change.
- APA psychotherapy initiative wins digital public relations and marketing award
PR News has recognized APA’s “Psychotherapy: More Than a Quick Fix” awareness initiative that promotes psychotherapy as a treatment option.
- NIH launches program to increase diversity of NIH-funded workforce
The National Institutes of Health program will support efforts to recruit and retain underrepresented scientists for positions across the institute’s workforce.
- Congressional briefing highlights substance abuse research with military and veteran populations
APA and the Friends of NIDA coalition organize session on current scientific approaches to understanding and treating substance abuse among military personnel, veterans and families.
By Christine Jamieson
Election Office Update
From APA Publishing
- Reform of Eyewitness Identification Procedures
In this book, top researchers in the field of eyewitness research focus on mistaken eyewitness identifications — perhaps the single most important factor underlying innocent convictions.
- Beyond Significance Testing
This book explains the problems with significance testing and introduces readers to alternative methods, especially effect size and confidence interval estimation.
- Human Information Processing
This book explains how humans process, retain and learn from sensory information. Citing recent research and using new computational models and methodologies, cognitive experts describe how vision, memory and attention interconnect to influence human information processing.
Calls for Nominations and Applications
- Apply now for APA training in data mining techniques and non-linear methods
- The Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Concerns Outstanding Achievement Awards
These awards recognize psychologists for significant contributions to the mission of CLGBTC.
- ASPP Student Travel Award: Learn How APA Governance Works
Doctoral students in psychology can apply by July 15 for an expense paid trip to the APA council meeting in Washington to become familiar with APA’s governance structure.
- APA Grants for Internship Programs
The APA has allocated up to $3 million over a period of three years for seed funding under a grant application process to increase the number of APA-accredited internship programs and positions.
- Call for Nominations to the Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Concerns
Nominate peers by Jan. 1, 2014, for two positions on the APA Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns.
Good News Beats Bad on Social Networks – The New York Times
“You’d expect people to be most enthusiastic and opinionated and successful in spreading ideas that they themselves are excited about,” says Falk. “But … thinking about what appeals to others may be even more important.”