Members have the opportunity to travel to China or Cuba to learn about psychology, mental health and health care systems in both countries.
- Training opportunities in primary care psychology catalogued in new directory
The new directory from APA’s Education Directorate lists doctoral, internship and postdoctoral programs that provide education and training in primary care psychology.
- Email newsletter tackles matters unique to students of psychology
APA’s newest email newsletter, Psychology Student Network, addresses the issues and concerns shared by undergraduate psychology students and recent graduates.
- This Is Psychology: Weight loss
In this episode, Katherine C. Nordal, PhD, APA's executive director for professional practice, shares results from a survey of psychologists on the role that emotions play in weight gain and loss.
- Health Care System Falls Short on Stress Management
APA survey finds inadequate attention given to behavioral health needs of younger Americans, people with chronic illness
- Seasonal Affective Disorder Sufferers Have More Than Just Winter Blues
SAD expert Kelly Rohan, PhD, explains the difference
- Interesting results: Can they be replicated?
- Gun violence research: History of the federal funding freeze
Newtown tragedy may lead to lifting of freeze in place since 1996.
By Christine Jamieson
- Senate passes APA-supported Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) reauthorization
The United States Senate with strong bipartisan support passed S. 47, the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013, by a vote of 78-22.
- Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act Reauthorization Introduced in 113th Congress
Bipartisan, bicameral legislation to support campus suicide prevention is introduced in the 113th Congress.
From APA Publishing
- Free APA Journals Pro mobile app now available
Search hundreds of thousands of journal articles and more with APA’s new app.
Are too many Missouri children taking drugs for attention deficit disorder?
– St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Testing for ADHD in children is “a tricky thing and in a good, well-done ADHD evaluation the person is getting information from multiple sources – the parents, teachers or day care providers.”
Calls for Review and Comment
APA Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Older Adults
Submit comments by April 5 for the guidelines that provide practitioners with information and further references for engaging in clinical work with older adults.
APA Guidelines for the Undergraduate Psychology Major
Submit comments by May 15 for the guidelines that describe a set of learning goals and outcomes for psychology majors at the completion of the baccalaureate degree.