- APA partners with Tobacco Free Kids and others to comment on proposed FDA regulations
The comments cite a significant body of scientific evidence substantiating the need for rigorous standards of tobacco product review
- Volunteers of America names APA member to manage veterans’ mental health services
Johnathan Sherin, MD, PhD, will guide the expansion of psychological services at the human service-focused nonprofit
- New report highlights role of social sciences in medical education
Medical schools need to incorporate the behavioral and social sciences’ unique insight on health issues, according to a new report by the Association of American Medical Colleges
- Two additional APA programs now on Facebook
Be sure to follow the ACT/Parents Raising Safe Kids Program and Socioeconomic Status Related Cancer Disparities Program
Election Office Update
- 2012 board and committee nominations
Nominate a peer for a governance position in APA
From APA Publishing
- Methodological Approaches to Community-Based Research
This book presents a range of relevant cutting-edge research methodologies at the community level, and illustrates their applicability to specific social problems and community-wide interventions.
Scholarships, Awards and Grants
- Klaus J. Jacobs Research Prize
Nominate a researcher who has “achieved major breakthroughs in understanding and contributing to child and youth development” for this substantial award
- Kenneth B. and Mamie P. Clark Fund
$10,000 grant supports research to increase understanding of personal factors, social arrangements, social institutions and physical factors affecting the well being of disesteemed or disadvantaged persons.
- International Scientific Meeting Support Award
The APA Committee on International Relations in Psychology (CIRP) invites applications for funds for scientific meetings that foster the exchange of knowledge among psychologists across the world.
- Esther Katz Rosen Fund Grants
Up to $50,000 for work related to the psychological understanding of gifted children and youth.
- Small Grants for Program Development of National Psychology Associations
The overall goal of this award is to contribute to the development of psychology around the globe by providing funds to support the development of national psychology associations.
- APA Travel Grants for US Psychologists to Attend International Conferences
This award will cover or partially cover conference registration fees at international conferences held outside the United States and Canada for U.S.-based psychologists.
- Meritorious Research Service Commendation
This commendation recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to psychological science through their service as employees of the federal government or other organizations.
- F. J. McGuigan Early Career Investigator Research Prize on Understanding the Human Mind
$25,000 to support research that aims to advance, both empirically and theoretically, a materialistic understanding of the human mind.
“A Sharper Mind, Middle Age and Beyond” – The New York Times
“Education seems to be an elixir that can bring us a healthy body and mind throughout adulthood and even a longer life,” says Margie E. Lachman, PhD, a psychologist at Brandeis University who specializes in aging.
In this training video, APA member Jeffrey E. Young, PhD, demonstrates the innovative, integrated therapeutic approach of schema therapy.