Unlocking the Potential of Patients With ADHD: A Model for Clinical Practice
For individuals in the U.S. & U.S. territories
Written by a clinical researcher who has evaluated and treated over 10,000 patients with ADHD, this volume provides a foundation for translating the complex scientific literature on ADHD into a model for community-based care. Drawing from molecular genetics, neuroimaging, and neurophysiology, award-winning clinical researcher Vincent J. Monastra guides practitioners through the steps of a comprehensive evaluation that includes medical, neuropsychological, neurophysiological, behavioral, and functional assessments. The multi-modal treatment plan detailed in these chapters can be implemented in the context of individual or group practices.
Following a detailed review of core symptoms, comorbidities, and areas of functional impairment, Monastra reviews the neuroscience of ADHD, emphasizing recent developments in neuroimaging and quantitative electroencephalography. He translates neuroscience findings into a workable reality that practitioners can use to understand the day-to-day struggle of patients with ADHD and to guide treatment planning. The multiple medical conditions that can mimic the effects of ADHD are discussed, and the frequently overlooked roles of inadequate dietary, sleep and exercise patterns are examined.
Detailed chapters describe pharmacological and educational interventions as well as strategies for conducting outpatient parenting and social-skills programs. In addition, the author reviews psychological therapies (including EEG biofeedback and cognitive behavioral therapies) that are proving useful for this challenging population.
- ADHD: Core Symptoms, Differential Diagnosis, and Areas of Functional Impairment
- The Etiology of ADHD: A Neurological Perspective
- Medical Conditions That Mimic ADHD
- Patient Assessment: A Neurobehavioral Approach for Diagnosing ADHD
- Nutrition, Sleep, and Exercise: The Foundation of Attention and Behavioral Control
- Pharmacological Treatments for ADHD
- Conducting the Functional Assessment of Patients with ADHD
- Electroencephalographic Biofeedback in the Treatment of ADHD
- Promoting School Success in Children with ADHD
- Counseling Parents of Children and Adolescents with ADHD: The Neuroeducational Parent Training Program
- Social Skills Training for Children and Teens with ADHD: The Neuroeducational Life Skills Program
- Special Issues in the Treatment of Adults with ADHD
- Uncommon Solutions to Common Clinical Problems
About the Author