In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- LGBT Pride 2014: Much to be Proud of at APA
APA is proud to be a leader in advancing a scientific perspective on improving the health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
- COPA Call for Nominations for Term 2015-2017
Send nominations by Aug. 15, for three new members to serve on the APA Ad Hoc Committee on Psychology and AIDS from Jan. 1, 2015, through Dec. 31, 2017.
- National HIV Testing Day
An opportunity for people nationwide to learn their HIV status, gain knowledge and take control of their health on June 27
A Student's Perspective
- The power of individual responses to victims of sexual assault
Victims often feel criticized, judged or silenced as a result of reporting their victimization.
By Marie Skanis
- APA Member Addresses Congressional Panel on Indian Health Service Funding
Represents dozens of individuals and organizations.
- APA Renewing Focus on Juvenile Justice
Joins dozens of groups to support prevention and the protection of status offenders.
- APA Joins Request for Funding of Federal Caregiving and Respite Care Programs
42 national organizations urge Congress to strengthen these critical efforts.
- APA Advocates for Perinatal Depression Screening
Activities include agency comments and grassroots outreach to Congress.
- APA Asked to Present at Johns Hopkins Meeting on Black Men Who Have Sex with Men
Talk emphasizes mental health and policy issues affecting older black gay men.
- ACT Coordinators Train on Advocacy and Federal Policy
Group participates in discussion of relevant child and family policy.