In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- Prolonging Vitality
Find out about the many contributions psychologists are making to improve the health and well-being of older adults.
- LGBT collaborating at the International Congress of Applied Psychology (ICAP) 2014
4,500 psychologists from 100 countries assembled in Paris, France, on the topic "From Crisis to Sustainable Well-Being."
- Childhood poverty, living below the line
When science meets passion, an interview with Lauren Fasig Caldwell, JD, PhD.
By Ieshia Haynie
- Public Interest Directorate Convention Highlights
Programming areas include aging, AIDS, children, youth and families, health disparities, LGBT concerns, the Minority Fellowship Program, socioeconomic status, women's issues, violence prevention and others.
A Student's Perspective
- Sexualization at an early age: A reflection of middle-school life
Bullying or sexually harassing behavior is a particularly troubling form of sexualization.
By Sarah Chisholm
- APA Champions Disability and LGBT Issues Around Adoption and Foster Care
Association co-sponsors briefing and supports key legislation.
- APA Hosts Briefing on Discrimination Against the Unemployed
Psychologists, unemployed professional address congressional staff.
- APA Comments on Federal Behavioral Counseling and Sexually Transmitted Infections Proposal
Recommendations focus on diversity, childhood sexual abuse, and provider capacity issues.
- APA Weighs In With Congress On Young People Immigrating Across the Nation’s Southern Border
Written testimony addresses trauma, mental health needs, psychological factors of immigration experience.
- APA Applauds Efforts Around Bill to Address Law Enforcement, Mental Health Systems Response to Violence
Legislation also supports federal gun violence prevention research.
- APA Invited, Participates in White House Summit on Working Families
President champions priority issues in APA's advocacy efforts.