In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
Lead StoryG. Tina Wolridge
A mother’s take on how sexualization of girls in media affects her daughter.
In This Issue
- After the acquittal: The need for honest dialogue about racial prejudice and stereotyping
Psychological research shows that people often notice differences between themselves and others, but judgments about the differences can be based on biased thinking.
By Gwendolyn Puryear Keita, PhD
- Safe and supportive schools project
The CDC Division of Adolescent and School Health has awarded APA a five-year, $1.4 million cooperative agreement.
- Health disparities in boys and men
Psychologists are addressing health disparities of underrepresented boys and men in the United States
By Lula A. Beatty, PhD
- Examining the Structural Determinants of Poverty, an Annotated Bibliography
A listing of books, federal assistance programs and other resources that provide information about the structural determinants of poverty in the United States.
- APA works to advance LGBT workplace discrimination legislation
The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) passed a crucial committee vote in the Senate on July 10.
- Positive Aging Act of 2013
APA supports legislation to serve older adults and promote integrated care.