In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- APA Health Disparities Initiative awarded AHRQ grant
Funding will enable development of the Best Practices Dissemination Network
- Work, Stress and Health 2015: Sustainable Work, Sustainable Health, Sustainable Organizations
The 2015 conference in Atlanta will give special attention to the concept of "sustainability," and the integral role of occupational safety and health in sustainable economic growth.
- PI Celebrates Black History Month
In February, the Public Interest Directorate honors the contributions of African-Americans to psychology and the advancement of our nation.
- PI blog launching in February 2013
PI is happy to announce the launch of the new “Psychology Benefits Society” blog in late February
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health
NIH is to be highly commended for LGBT health research, but NIH support for such reseach has been incomplete
February Policy Updates
- APA Urges Action on UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
APA joined CEDAW Task Force members sending a letter to all United States Senators, urging their leadership and support of CEDAW ratification in the 113th Congress.
- Public Interest Government Relations Office (PI-GRO) assesses Washington balance of power
While APA lost some key champions of issues of importance to psychology, the diverse 113th Congress offers an exciting opportunity for PI-GRO to foster new relationships.
- New law creates national commission to reduce child fatalities from abuse and neglect
APA submitted testimony in support of the legislation as the bill moves toward House and Senate passage.