In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
John R. Anderson, PhD, former senior director of the Office on AIDS, was also a distinguished and pioneering clinical psychologist dedicated to the fight against HIV
In This Issue
- National Hunger and Homeless Awareness Week
During November, the Office on Socioeconomic Status will join schools and communities nationwide in raising awareness about hunger and homelessness
- Highlights from National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month
The Office of Ethnic Minority Affairs highlighted Latino mental health in partnership with the DC Office of Latino Affairs, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology and The National Latina/o Psychological Association
- “Answers to Your Questions” now available in Spanish
Release of the Spanish version of this widely disseminated pamphlet on sexual orientation will help with efforts to reduce prejudice
- The Effective Providers for Child Victims of Violence Program
Milestones of the Effective Providers for Child Victims of Violence Initiative
- Resources and opportunities for psychologists
Learn about the CEMA Tanaka and the CEMRRAT Suinn Awards, ProDIGS announcement and the SPSSI Teaching Award.
November Policy Updates
- APA Governance members meet with congressional staff to advocate for the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
Members of APA’s Committee on Women in Psychology advocated for a comprehensive reauthorization of VAWA by asking their representatives to support key public health provisions and protections for vulnerable populations.
- APA joins key partners to thank Rep. Mike Simpson, R-Idaho, for his support of the Indian Health Service
Thanking Rep. Mike Simpson, R-Idaho, for his committee’s strong support of the Indian Health Service in the FY 2013 Interior Appropriations bill.