In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- Psychologists still need to help implement Title IX as it celebrates its 40th anniversary
Psychologists are needed more than ever as the issues of sex discrimination become more subtle
- ACT Raising Safe Kids program conducting training in Brazil
ACT Against Violence (ACT) facilitator training will be the first in the country
- Committee on Socioeconomic Status (CSES) marks UN World Poverty Day on Oct. 17, 2012
This observance promotes consciousness of the need to eradicate poverty across the globe
- Report of the APA Task Force on Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation
California legislation cites APA report on appropriate therapeutic responses to sexual orientation.
- Resources and opportunities for psychologists
The Minority Fellowship Program seeks nominations for fellowship committee members; 2012 Texas HIV/STD Conference; and the Loan Repayment Program
October Policy Updates
- APA Works to Build the Mental Health Workforce for an Aging America
A congressional briefing presented key findings from the IOM report related to the mental health and substance use workforce for older adults.
- Psychologists share expertise at Federal Partners in Bullying Prevention Summit
Event highlighted federal commitment to school climate
- PI-GRO Recaps 2012 APA Annual Convention Activities
Staff activities focused on APA programs and governance and public policy.