In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In this Issue
- Public Interest Convention Highlights
Topics include childhood obesity and health disparities, injury and violence protection, immigration and racial disparities, inequalities for women, and the promotion of health and wellness for women with disabilities
- Promoting Healthy Behaviors to Prevent Obesity and Unhealthy Weight Control in Our Youth
Psychology can challenge the disproportionate emphasis on weight reduction and foster the adoption of healthier diets and greater physical activity.
- APA Public Interest Award Winners
APA presents awards for Distinguished Contributions to Psychology in the Public Interest — Senior Career and Early Career — and Distinguished Contributions to Research in Public Policy.
- 2012 International AIDS Conference Highlights
The conference featured a space for communities and HIV/AIDS discussions in the Global Village, and a variety of related meetings and events
- The International Network for Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Concerns, and Transgender Issues in Psychology participated in the 30th International Congress of Psychology
The congress included symposiums that addressed LGBT issues
September Policy Updates
- Psychology Summer Institute Fellows go to Capitol Hill for the Minority Fellowship Program
Training focused on the basics of advocacy, effectively communicating with policymakers and a briefing on MFP
- APA engages psychologists on key federal legislative issues
The PI-GRO urged psychologists to discuss disabilities, the Student Non-Discrimination Act, domestic violence, funding for behavioral science.
- APA Staff Moderates Discussion of Behavioral Health and HIV Prevention
Panelists described best practice programs and explored the integration of behavioral health and HIV prevention in community settings