December 2013 | Monitor on PsychologyVol. 44 No. 11
On the Cover: Coming home
When the conflict comes home
Military and veteran couples with PTSD and high marital conflict may be at greater risk for heart disease and sleep problems than their peers without these issues.
Building family resilience
Psychologists are adapting evidence-based resiliency programs to help military families, couples and children.
Scientists are finding that distrust can alter our behavior in unexpected ways.
MacArthur Fellowship grantee Angela Lee Duckworth talks about why success takes “grit,” and whether it’s possible to teach people to be “grittier.”
APA’s president and president-elect discuss what the changes to APA’s governance structure will mean for members.
What does it take to keep talented students in STEM fields? An APA-led study aims to find out.
Psychologists are discovering what makes work meaningful — and how to create value in any job.
APA’s divisions have named their fellows for 2013.
- APA members elect Barry S. Anton as 2015 president
- Stigma hinders workplace flexibility, reports special issue
- American Psychologist retracts model that suggests there is a positive to negative emotions tipping point
- APA teams with Microsoft to bring mental health into the classroom
- By the numbers
- Check out the new issue of APA’s student magazine
Early career psychologists hit their strides as their first year on the job wraps up.
EDUCATION LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE
APA’s 2013 Education Leadership Conference focused on ethics and education.
An education law expert explained what they are and how to avoid them.
Innovative ways to make ethics classes effective and fun.
An early career psychologist shares concerns about ethical issues encountered in training.
APA is working with the White House to help address the problem.
APA honored three outstanding advocates at its 2013 Education Leadership Conference.
- Video: How the evidence-based FOCUS program is improving children's behavior and family functioning and reducing anxiety and depression among military family members
- Video: Learn how body language and facial expressions affect trust using a programmed robot named Nexi
- Test: Take Dr. Michael Steger’s Work and Meaning Inventory to see if you find your work meaningful