If you're a graduate or undergraduate student taking courses in psychology, you are eligible to become an APA student affiliate.
And if you join as a graduate student, you'll automatically become a member of APAGS, the American Psychological Association for Graduate Students — the voice of student concerns in APA.
Graduate or undergraduate students taking courses in psychology are eligible to become an APA student affiliates.
Graduate student affiliates are automatic members of the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students (APAGS).
Undergraduates may join APAGS for a nominal fee.
Applications may be submitted at any time. If your application is approved between Jan. 1 and Aug. 31, your membership will be predated to Jan. 1 of the same year and your paid journal subscriptions will be backordered to the first of the year. Your subscriptions to the Monitor on Psychology and the American Psychologist will begin on the date of acceptance and continue through the year, with no back issues sent.
Student affiliates who join APA between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31 will enjoy membership through the next calendar year. Your subscriptions to the Monitor on Psychology and the American Psychologist will begin with the next available issue, with no back issues sent.
All journal subscriptions are for one calendar year only. As an APA student affiliate, you may order back-issues from previous years of any APA journal at member rates.
Student affiliate status is effective Jan. 1 through Dec. 31. You will receive an invoice each year when it is time to renew your subscriptions and your membership.
For more information on student eligibility, contact the Membership Department.
APA Membership Department
750 First Street, NE Washington, DC 20002-4242
(800) 374-2721 (U.S. & Canada toll free)
(202) 336-5580 (in D.C.)
(202) 336-5568 (fax)
If you previously were a student affiliate and wish to reinstate your membership, download and complete the Affiliate Reinstatement Form (PDF, 119KB) and return it by email, fax or mail.
- Special APA Annual Convention registration rates.
- Opportunity for membership in APA divisions.
- The American Psychologist — APA's flagship journal.
- APA Monitor on Psychology — APA's monthly magazine.
- gradPSYCH — magazine for APAGS members.
- Mobile apps for APA Monitor on Psychology, gradPSYCH and other APA publications.
- Journal credit.
- APA journals and online databases at substantial discounts off nonmember rates.
- Discounts off APA books and videos.
- High-quality information resources.
- Free online access to paid subscriptions' full-text files.
- Email lists targeted to a variety of student interests.
- Internship and career resources such as the comprehensive book Internships in Psychology and APA’s Online Career Center, PsycCareers.
- Scholarships and awards.
- Support for the discipline of psychology.
- Representation in Congress, state legislatures, and in major social and educational institutions.
- Programs that educate the public and the media on the benefits of psychology.
- And much more!
- Member Discounts Program — savings for members.
Brought to you by the APAPO, offers all APA members and affiliates discounts on brand-name products and services including car rental discounts from Avis, Budget, Alamo, National and Hertz; financial services from Bank of America; payment processing by Elavon; hotel and vacation discounts from Wyndham Hotels and Endless Vacation Rentals; shipping from UPS; computers, printers and technology from Hewlett-Packard; office supplies and furniture from Office Depot; flowers and gifts from 1-800-Flowers; the magazine subscription program; and Web design and hosting.
2015 Affiliate Dues
$57 — Graduate student
$35 — Undergraduate student
Student affiliates receive a $10 journal credit. Undergraduate student affiliates may also join APAGS for an additional $22 and receive the gradPSYCH magazine; graduate psychology students are automatic members of APAGS.
2015 Practice Assessment Fee
$20 — Graduate student affiliates have option of joining APA Practice Organization, which is exclusively devoted to advancing the goals of the practitioner community. More about the Practice Assessment.
If you would like more information on any of the dues categories please contact the APA Membership Department.