High School Teacher
Teachers of high school psychology who are not eligible to become APA members may become high school teacher affiliates. As a high school teacher affiliate of APA, you'll automatically become a member of TOPSS, Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools.
TOPSS is the national organization representing the needs of psychology teachers at the high school level. TOPSS priorities include developing materials and resources for high school psychology, networking among all teaching levels of psychology, and providing a visible, national voice for secondary school teachers of psychology.
Visit the TOPSS website for more information.
High school teacher affiliates of the American Psychological Association are automatically members of TOPSS.
Applications may be submitted at any time. If your application is approved between Jan. 1 and Aug. 31, your membership will be predated to Jan. 1 of the same year and your paid journal subscriptions will be backordered to the first of the year. Your subscriptions to the Monitor on Psychology and the American Psychologist will begin on the date of acceptance and continue through the year, with no back issues sent.
Teacher affiliates who join APA between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31 will enjoy membership through the next calendar year. Your subscriptions to the Monitor on Psychology and the American Psychologist will begin with the next available issue, with no back issues sent.
All journal subscriptions are for one calendar year only. As an APA teacher affiliate, you may order back-issues from previous years of any APA journal at member rates.
Affiliate status is effective Jan. 1 through Dec. 31. You will receive an invoice each year when it is time to renew your subscriptions and your affiliate status.
For more information on teacher eligibility, contact the Membership Department.
APA Membership Department
750 First Street, NE Washington, DC 20002-4242
(800) 374-2721 (U.S. & Canada toll free)
(202) 336-5580 (in D.C.)
(202) 336-5568 (fax)
- Special low APA Annual Convention registration rates.
- Opportunity for membership in APA divisions.
- Receive the American Psychologist — APA's flagship journal.
- Receive the APA Monitor on Psychology — APA's monthly magazine.
- Mobile apps for APA Monitor on Psychology, gradPSYCH and other APA publications.
- Discounts off APA books and videos.
- High-quality information resources.
- Free online access to paid subscriptions' full-text files.
- Free active-learning-based unit lesson plans produced specifically for use in high school classrooms.
- Opt-in to receive the Psychology Teacher Network, a quarterly newsletter, featuring articles about scholarly and innovative practices, teaching activities and news of workshops and conferences.
- Resources including National Standards for High School Psychology Curriculum, Resource Manual for New Teachers of High School Psychology and Conducting Psychological Research for Science Fairs: A Teacher’s Guide and Resource Manual.
- Support for your classroom efforts through workshops and teaching materials.
- Benefits for your students, including TOPSS-sponsored student contests and student recognition certificates.
- Annual mailings with news and information from TOPSS.
- Additional resources include: TOPSS Excellence in Teaching Awards, Speakers Bureau.
- Support for the discipline of psychology.
- Representation in Congress, state legislatures and in major social and educational institutions.
- Programs that educate the public and the media on the benefits of psychology.
- And much more!
- Member Discounts Program — savings for members.
Brought to you by the APAPO, offers all APA members and affiliates discounts on brand-name products and services including car rental discounts from Avis, Budget, Alamo, National, Hertz and Auto Europe; financial services from Bank of America; book discounts from Barnes & Noble; payment processing by Elavon; hotel and vacation discounts from Wyndham Hotels and Endless Vacation Rentals; shipping from UPS; computers, printers and technology from Hewlett-Packard; office supplies and furniture from Office Depot; flowers and gifts from 1-800-Flowers; the magazine subscription program; identity protection services and web design and hosting.
2014 Affiliate Dues
$50 — High school teacher
If you would like more information on any of the dues categories please contact the APA Membership Department.