A publication of the Office of International Affairs
December 2012 | Vol. 23, No. 4
DECEMBER 2012 FEATURED ARTICLES
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE...
- 20th Congress of the Mexican Psychological Society: MOU partners meet in Campeche
APA staff members participated in the congress and met with the society’s board of directors to discuss collaborative opportunities.
- The United Arab Emirates launches its first clinical psychology graduate program, taught in English
This program is the first psychology graduate program of any specialty in the UAE.
- APA announces its 2013 international award recipients
Maria Cristina Richaud and Fons van de Vijver are co-recipients of the APA Award for Distinguished Contributions to the International Advancement of Psychology, and M. Brinton Lykes is recipient of the APA International Humanitarian Award.
- Book review: Attaining the epistemological goal of indigenous psychology
Catherine Tien-Lun Sun reviews "Foundations of Chinese Psychology: Confucian Social Relations."
- Recently published
Recently published books relevant to international psychology.
SENIOR DIRECTOR'S COLUMN
- How do we know ourselves?
A discussion on the gap between geographical distribution of psychologists around the world and the scope of psychology literature, and ways to bridge this gap.
PSYCHOLOGY IN ACTION
- Group psychotherapy trainings in China
Psychologists recently co-taught a five-day course at the Shanghai Mental Health Center, Medical School of Jiaotong.
- Working with faith-based organizations in Tanzania to promote youth development
Tanzania's strategy for reducing HIV/AIDS infection informed research on the benefits of collaborating with faith-based organizations when rehabilitating and improving resilience in street children.
PSYCHOLOGY AT THE UN
- Human Rights Day 2012 – My voice counts: Inclusion and the right to participate in public life
Learn about the legal protections U.N. bodies have established for vulnerable populations, how psychologists can promote human rights, and current efforts to ensure dignity and social inclusion for all people.
- APA’s NGO representatives and interns at the United Nations visit APA headquarters
The U.N. team met with APA staff to discuss APA’s policy priorities and opportunities for synergy between the two groups.