Competency-Based Clinical Supervision: State of the Art
This INTERMEDIATE workshop is designed to introduce participants to fast- evolving best practices of supervision and to enhance supervisory competence through experiential exercises. The workshop includes current research on supervision efficacy, optimal supervision and parameters of competency based supervision with emphasis on empirical support. Multicultural competence, alliance development and repair, legal and ethical issues and risk management techniques, effective evaluation, managing supervisees who do not meet performance criteria, and strategies for self-care are highlighted. Hands-on exercises, vignettes and role-plays will be used to illustrate supervisor-supervisee issues.
Part of the APA Online Academy Convention Workshop Presentations Campus.
- Identify three aspects of competency based supervision;
- Assess all supervisees upon entrance into the supervisory relationship to clearly define current level of functioning and desired outcomes;
- Develop a strong supervisory alliance and meta-theoretical skills to identify and repair strains and ruptures to the alliance;
- Develop and implement an assessment process which will be directly tied to the assessment at onset of the supervision;
- Infuse knowledge, skills, and values that are diversity-competent in all aspects of supervision;
- Identify and intervene on supervisory ethical and legal issues that arise and have specific tools to increase your effectiveness in modeling ethical practice of supervision; and
- Identify and intervene early with supervisees who do not meet performance criteria and have tools to assess, remediate, and proceed to ensure positive outcomes.
Carol A. Falender, PhD; Edward P. Shafranske, PHD
$120.00 for Members/Affiliates
Go to the APA Online Academy Registration Form.
If you are an APA member, please have your Membership Number available. If you don't know it, you can look up your membership number online or contact APA directly at (800) 374-2721, ext. 5580.
If you are paying by credit card, you will immediately receive an email confirmation with instructions on how to access the course and your username and password.
If you are paying by check, there is a ONE BUSINESS DAY waiting period before you can access your course. You should still register online.