What Psychologists Should Know About Working with Older Adults
This INTERMEDIATE workshop will increase the competencies of psychologists interested in working with older adults and their families, and their caregivers. Topics include demographic characteristics and life contexts of older adults; assessment and treatment of dementia, anxiety, and depression; common behavioral health issues (sleep problems, medications, substance abuse, pain, disability and chronic disease management, end-of-life care); and private practice strategies in working with older adults (securing and making referrals; practice codes for Medicaid, Medicare, and other insurance; filing for Medicare reimbursement; consulting in long-term care settings).
Part of the APA Online Academy Convention Workshop Presentations Campus.
- Describe the range of diversity among older adults in terms of multicultural demographic characteristics and health status;
- Respond to multiculturally diverse older adults with sensitivity to their cultural values and health practices;
- Recognize signs of dementia among older adults and apply appropriate assessment and treatment techniques for these conditions;
- Provide support to caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease;
- Identify symptoms of depression and anxiety among older adults and apply appropriate assessment and treatment techniques for these conditions;
- Recognize older adult behavioral health risks and problems and use appropriate assessment and treatment approaches and techniques;
- Manage a professional practice involving older patients effectively, including securing and making referrals and applying appropriate practice codes.
Rosemary Blieszner, PhD; Chandra Mehrotra, PhD; Peter A. Lichtenberg, PhD, ABPP; Victor Molinari, PhD, ABPP; Forrest R. Scogin, PhD; Merla Arnold, PhD, RN; William E. Haley, PhD; Margaret Norris, PhD
Go to the APA Online Academy Registration Form.
If you are an APA member, please have your Membership Number available. If you don't know it, you can look up your membership number online or contact APA directly at (800) 374-2721, ext. 5580.
If you are paying by credit card, you will immediately receive an email confirmation with instructions on how to access the course and your username and password.
If you are paying by check, there is a ONE BUSINESS DAY waiting period before you can access your course. You should still register online.