Psychology Teacher Network
A publication of the Education Directorate
September 2013 | Vol. 23, No. 2
Featured StoryDouglas A. Bernstein, PhD
In This Issue
- Teaching psychology to a diverse audience: An ethical imperative in the 21st century
The second of an ongoing series on teaching ethically, this column explores the intersection of two central areas of psychology: teaching and cultural competence.
By Melanie M. Domenech Rodríguez, PhD, Scott C. Bates, PhD, and Lesther Papa, MA
- Past wisdom, present practice
Words of wisdom by William James still offer profound lessons to teachers.
By David E. Leary, PhD
- Semester at Sea: 50 years of global education
Teaching psychology while traveling the world.
By Charles Morris, PhD and Bill von Hippel, PhD
- Helping students find relevance
Teaching the relevance of course content can help students develop into engaged, motivated and self-regulated learners.
By Robin Roberson
News from TOPSS and PT@CC
- New videos and PowerPoint presentations available online
TOPSS offers videos and PowerPoints to enhance your teaching.
- Winners of the TOPSS Student Competition
Students explored the role of psychology in explaining or solving a social injustice.
- Intel International Science and Engineering Fair winners
APA recognized outstanding high school student researchers at the Intel ISEF in May 2013.
- Psychology Teachers Earn APA TOPSS Award for Excellence in Teaching
Award recipients recognized for commitment to psychology education
- PT@CC Student Presentation Contest Winners
Community college students receive awards for multi-media psychology presentations
From the AED and Director, Precollege and Undergraduate Education
- Permanent present tense: The unforgettable life of the amnesic patient, H. M.
Henry Molaison contributed immeasurably to what we know about memory and the brain.
- Psychology Department Program
Enhance teaching and learning in your psychology department through the APA Psychology Department Program
- Help science-minded students prepare for college and STEM careers
NIH resource will help teachers get high school students ready for the biomedical workforce.
- Publication Manual Now Available From the Amazon Kindle® Store
Already available in three print versions — paperback, hardcover or lay-flat spiral binding — the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Edition is now available from Amazon's Kindle store as a Print Replica book.
Mark Your Calendar
- Psychology Synergy conference to be held in October
Psi Chi and Psi Beta invite psychology students to Synergy 2013 on Oct. 4-5, 2013.
- Research-based approaches for teaching psychology
Div. 2 (Society for the Teaching of Psychology) continues the Best Practices Conference Oct. 11-12, 2013.
- Fifteenth Annual Mid-Atlantic Teaching of Psychology (MATOP) Conference
The conference, Oct. 18, 2013, will feature workshops, lectures, networking and more.
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) Conference
The 93rd NCSS Annual Conference will be held in St. Louis, Nov. 22-24, 2013.