IHS Loan Repayment Program
The Indian Health Service (IHS) Loan Repayment Program (LRP) offers health professionals like you the opportunity to pay off your qualified student loans while assisting IHS to meet the staffing needs of Indian health programs. LRP awards loan repayment to health professionals practicing in specific health profession disciplines in exchange for an initial two-year service commitment working in health facilities serving American Indian and Alaska Native communities.
As a health professional, you are eligible to apply if you:
- Are a US citizen.
- Have a health profession degree or are in postgraduate training or in your final year of a health profession school.
- Have a valid state license to practice in a health profession. Health profession students in their final year of post-graduate clinical training/school are eligible to apply before obtaining a license. However, you are not eligible for an award until you provide proof of licensure to the branch office.
- Are committed to practice at an Indian health facility.
- Can begin service on or before September 30 for two continuous years of full-time clinical practice.
- Are not currently receiving funding or fulfilling a service commitment with another federal loan repayment or scholarship program (for example, National Health Service Corps LRP or Scholarship Program, IHS Scholarship Program, Nurse Corps LRP, etc.).
The IHS LRP application cycle begins Oct. 1 and runs through the Friday of the second full week of August. Applications are evaluated monthly beginning in January, or as soon as funds become available.